We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) (the Executing Agency) and its partners Africa Rice Centre and the International Centre for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas (the Implementing Agencies) has received a grant of about US$ 63 million from the African Development Fund (ADF) to finance the Multinational-CGIAR Project on Support to Agricultural Research for Development of Strategic Crops In Africa (SARD-SC). The strategic crops within the context of the project are Cassava, Maize, Wheat and Rice.
The overall objective of SARD-SC is to enhance food and nutrition security and contribute to poverty reduction in Bank’s low income Regional Member Countries (RMCs). Its specific objective is to enhance the productivity and income of four CAADP’s priority value chains (cassava, maize, rice, and wheat) on a sustainable basis.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, the Executing Agency for the SARD-SC, wishes to use a portion of the grant to engage the services of a project finance officer as the Accountant. Thus, the IITA would like to invite finance experts with track records to apply for the post of Accountant under the SARD-SC Project.
Job Title: Accountant
- Successful candidate will among other assignments:
- Draw up quarterly, semi-annual and annual budget in line with the overall project activities, operational and procurement plans;
- Monitor expenditure in accordance with IITA’s policies and guidelines;
- Report periodically on status of budget implementation and propose possible revisions;
- Establish procedures and controls to ensure resources use efficiency;
- Handle accounting treatment and financial transaction with respect to disbursements to project collaborators and partners;
- Prepare monthly financial report in a timely and verifiable manner;
- Provide reports, statements and schedules for auditing of project activities;
- In conjunction with the Procurement Specialist, document project procurement of goods and services and management of property and equipment in keeping with the Bank’s rules and procedures;
- Report to the Project Coordinator;
- Oversee the Financial Management (FM) and Disbursement functions of the project;
- Lead Financial Management (FM) and Disbursement reporting functions of the three implementing partners;
- Provide adequate project accounting system that will produce financial statement in line with international Accounting standards;
- Maintain all books of account and record as required under an international accounting practice;
- prepare payment vouchers, petty cash payment vouchers, journal vouchers etc. and shall be responsible for posting into general and other account ledgers;
- Provide Bank reconciliation states on relationship between the project and its commercial banks;
- Prepare monthly payrolls and other allowances of the project staff;
- Maintain advances and asset registers and keep store accounts books to provide control to project store;
- Prepare, to the satisfaction of AfDB, initial advance to the Special Account and subsequent replenishments and justification for expenditure from special account required for the smooth implementation of the project;
- Prepare request for direct payment by the bank;
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned on financial, accounting, budgeting and reporting of activities.
- Masters degree in Business with a major in accounting or Certified Public Accountant, or Chartered Accountant or equivalent accountancy professional qualification.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience, 3 years in Africa, This must include at least two years of experience in an accounting firm or in an international/multinational financial organization.
- Have the capacity to work effectively in a team; and
- Be competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Capacity to pay attention to details and accuracy;
- Planning and organizing capacity;
- Information and task monitoring;
- Problem analysis;
- Judgment and problem solving; and
- Hands-on knowledge of Oracle Financial Applications.
- The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
19th June 2012
Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.